Monday, December 13, 2010

Career Survival Seminar

Press on fellas; press on. I'm talking about the guys from 2 The Rescue that travel and teach about firefighter career survival. In the areas of stress management and "fire family" research, there is not much to go on. There's a few books out there (i.e. I love a firefighter, The Firemans Wife, etc) but not much by way of empirical research (hard facts). I found this out firsthand when trying to write a term paper (and now a thesis) on "Work related stress of firefighters and the conflict it causes in families." I did a worldwide search and produced three scholarly articles (and one was about rural Austrailian firefighters!). I sat through a seminar tonight on this topic. Although it did not have research to back up ALL of the information presented, it still spoke truth. I believe the research will catch up to what these guys are teaching--they're ahead of the game so to speak. There is much work to be done in the area of the firefighter work-family-conflict. Way to go 2-The-Rescue for wading in uncharted territory. The work you're doing is not in vain.