Tuesday, November 30, 2010

On the spot

Just one day after thinking, "Why do I volunteer to be a firefighter chaplain?" I was pleasantly reminded. I was on the scene of a vehicle crash, in the median of a highway, helping backboard a patient. The woman was told by a firefighter that we have a chaplain available. She asked, "Where is he?" I smiled because I was right next to her. She asked if I could pray for her...not later...right now. My religious upbringing taught me that praying was meant to be quiet and alone or in a big group before dinner--not in public or on-the-spot; however, this was game time so I gave it a go. In front of all the paramedics, firefighters, and police, I placed my hand on her forehead and said, "I pray peace over you in the name of our Lord and Savior. Amen." I figured peace was the most immediate need this woman had and this one had to be quick and to the point. I think I'll do that again sometime...