Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11

I held a short IAFC recommended 9/11 ceremony on the front apron this morning. We stood at attention for one minute as cars whizzed by. We rang our fire bell for three sets of five and read all the 343 firefighter's names who died 7 years ago. It was a somber time. I wrapped things up with a reading of the "Firefighter Prayer." I surprised myself when I went to read the last verse (...bless with your protective hand, my children and my wife) I got choked up. 

I think I'm in denial and or walking by faith when it comes to how dangerous the job can be. Sometimes I realize it and the implications it has for my wife. Either way, I'm proud to have had the opportunity to work along so many brave and courageous people. It is for those people today, I pray a special blessing.