Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Beyond the Scene

While on-scene of a bad car accident, a fellow firefighter found a church bulletin. We used the bulletin to contact the pastor, who later responded to the hospital. The driver was critically injured. We called a police station in Illinois to locate the patients father. I got the number for the father and prepared to notify him that his daughter was in critical condition. My stomach turned and I didn't want to make the call; however, I knew if it were my daughter I'd want to know. The father was shocked and confused. His life changed from that moment on.

The firefighter who found the bulletin was thinking beyond the scene. It's easy to forget about what happens after the emergency: the impact on family, friends, the needs that arise--spiritual, physical, and emotional, and how much more positive impact we can have on our residents and visitors. 

I've struggled a bit with the thought of receiving news that my daughter may not survive and if she does she may not be the same. The reality of scenes rarely sinks in because the next call is just around the corner. Let this be a reminder to think beyond the scene and make every effort to care for or notify someone who can love the people in their darkest times.

Chap