Friday, September 26, 2008

Breakfast

I responded to an EMS call at McDonalds restaurant. It was in the morning and many people were there having coffee and breakfast. Kids were running around--you know, the usual for MickyD's. While I can't give details of the call, let's just say that the patient was barely alive. While our crew worked on the patient, I suddenly realized how everybody in the restaurant was carrying on--as if someone wasn't dying on the floor. There was a bunch of seniors that were presumably the patient's friends. They were making jokes and were not phased a bit that their buddy was about to bite the dust. 

I spoke with my wife about this and she said, "Well, what are people supposed to do?" I answered, "Care." I never expect the public to help out in any emergency, but a little compassion for others would be good. Prayer would be a good thing when you see someone fighting for their life. In this instance, moving your breakfast to the other side of the room would have seemed appropriate; who wants to eat McMuffins with a side of blood? Every now and then I notice how self-involved we are as a culture. Our culture says, "I don't care."