Thursday, May 14, 2009

Firefighter Anxiety and PTSD?

I often wonder what other firefighters do after a "bad call." We recently assisted a neighboring jurisdiction on a multiple fatal fire involving numerous children. It may be difficult to see how God could allow this to happen. In a perfect world (one without sin and death) God would not allow it to happen. When Adam and Eve sinned, sin and death entered the world and we've been struggling ever since! Even though, God's got a way of making triumph out of tragedy; at the funeral of the 3 kids, numerous people came to faith. Their eternal salvation came on a day of great mourning. You can say, God's in the "Search & Rescue" business. 

It's calls like this one that also make us question our actions; if we reacted in superior fashion, no big deal; if we didn't, those darn "what ifs" take over. Reject the "what ifs" and encourage the "what nows." What do you do now as a result of the tragedy?

It's important for everyone in emergency services to talk through the questions we are left with. Professional counselors are a great asset, especially if they have experience in the fields we serve in. Our peers can be a great help IF they have learned positive methods of debriefing (avoiding alcoholism and "sucking it up"). 

It may be difficult but I have found that writing is my best friend. When I get a "bad call" (like the recent fatal fire), I write on paper whatever is on my mind. I consider this a prayer to God. I write exactly what I'm thinking (regardless of the content). If I want, I can tear it up when I'm done. I love to tear things up (a side effect of being a firefighter). 

Post traumatic Stress Disorder is serious business. Click the heading to check out more info on firefighter PTSD. Suicide is a real threat if we have been to too many "bad calls" and haven't dealt with the anxiety in a positive fashion. Talk to your fellow firefighters...talk to them often. We have to look out for one another; have your buddy's back--it's what firefighters do best.

Dear Lord, grant my fellow comrades (and me) peace, rest, and strength to endure hardship, death, and the stress of our job. Continue to guide us with your protective hand and lead us not into temptation. To you we surrender...Amen