Thursday, February 5, 2009

Wheel




Every time I go to the pet store I have to stop and watch the gerbils. My favorite is when they're running in the wheel. I don't really like gerbils but they're funny. They get focused, eyes forward, chin up, and are determined to run like the wind. They fly off, upside-down, and skid sideways; after a minute or two, they're right back on doing it again.



Although life is fast and fun at times, everyone falls off the wheel. When I "fly off the wheel," I find the strength to get back on because I've determined I'm going to keep running. (I run on many wheels...as do you). Strength comes in various packages; sometimes its a friendly smile, an encouraging word, music, a hobby, movies, sleep, goals & accomplishments, the Bible, or a workout. Even though these things can and do encourage me at times, I find that the longer I wait to get back on the wheel the worse I feel.

Jesus said, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid," (Gospel of John 14:27). Lets run.

If Jesus were a wheel, I'd be a gerbil.
http://firefighterchaplain.blogspot.com/