Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Rescue

After this weekend's apartment fire and rescue off a 3rd story balcony, I couldn't help but think of how desperate those people wanted to be rescued. I imagined myself, along with my wife, having two little kids, and two dogs, choking on smoke, seeing flames all around me, and wondering when or how I would be saved.
When our backs are against the wall--or flames, who are we trusting to rescue us? As firefighters we are placed in situations that push our abilities to the max and force us to make split second decisions with the lives of others on the line. I stand by my motto: "Get ready--stay ready" because we never know when the next life is on the line.
I'm comforted by the promise of God-written by the psalmist:

"If you make the Most High your dwelling...

[God says] "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name."

Psalm 91:9, 14